Associate Professor of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, School of Civil Engineering,
College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, IRAN
Date of Birth: 19 September, 1972
Place of Birth: Tabriz, Iran
Mailing Address: Department of Irrigation & Drainage Engineering, University of Tehran, Enghelab St.,Tehran, Iran,
P.O. Box: 31587-77871
Tel: +98 21 36040906 (Office)
Fax: +98 21 36040906
- Postdoctoral Research: Research Scholar, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University, Massachusetts , USA, 2016– 2017.
- D.: Water Resources Engineering (Civil Engineering), 2016, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands.
- Title of Ph.D. Thesis: “ Hydrosystems as Multipractice Phenomena A Normative Approach to Analysing Governance System Failures”
- Master of Science: Civil Engineering, 1998, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), Tehran, Iran.
- Title of Master of Science Thesis: “ A Computer Simulation Modeling and Laboratory Experimental Analysis of Cherepnov Water Lifter”
- Bachelor of Science, Irrigation (Water) Engineering, 1995, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran.
- 1997, Kharazmi youth innovator festival awards candidates for innovative manufacturing a Lab. Cherepnov Water Lifter. This festival is annually organized by Iran’s Ministry of Science.
- in coursework titled below:
- 2013, Centro di GeoTecnologie, Università degli Studi di Siena, MIRAME, summer course on Hazard assessment.
- 2012, ETH (Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule) No time at all, annual Cortona Week in Tuscany, Italy.
- International Center for Hydropower (ICH) full scholarship for participation
- 2010, Small Hydropower Resources (SHR), Trondheim, Norway.
- 2009, Dam Safety and Inspections (DSI), Trondheim, Norway.
- 2008, Hydropower Financing and Project Economy (HFPE), Oslo, Norway.
Payandab Tavan Consulting Group, Iran.
Co-founder, Project Manager and CEO.
Main activities and responsibilities
- Founder and co-founder of two companies in Iran. Achievements: boosting the turnover to twice more than GDP in an eight-year period.
- Conducted a collaborative engineering joint venture to approach new challenges.
- Involved (2001-2009) directly in more than 62 engineering projects in Iran and Kenya, In the engineering sub-fields; flood defence, irrigation and drainage, small and medium hydropower schemes, dam and water conveyance tunnels and geotechnical surveying.
- Implemented an accountability framework of the company as a key plan of the project’s management methodology for team leaders, human and fiscal resources liaisons. It examined during a one-year € 900K project in 2010. Exceeded targets by 18%.
- Ensured appropriate provision for internal audit processes and procedures attuned with value-sensitive norms of Code of Engineering Act (2009-2011).
- Developed induction for new staff.
Design teams, Project supervision, Integrated resource management, Business development.
Main activities and responsibilities
Iran Water and Power Company (IWPCo).
Senior and supervisor engineer of small and medium hydropower schemes
The design team provided engineering services for:
- Pre-authorization studies; preparing design reports; preparing studies for uprating, rehabilitation, or replacement of hydropower stations.
- Supervising of installation (mostly run-off-river) hydropower schemes (e.g. cascade hydropower projects in the south west of Iran).
- Providing hydrological analysis as input to the electro-mechanical of reconnaissance reports (3 hydropower projects in Isfahan province, central Iran).
- Coordinating hydro-mechanical and -electrical services for south-west office.
- Analysing results, making recommendations, and providing engineering services during construction.
Small and medium hydropower administration.
- Complex Water Problems
- Water Diplomacy
- Water Conflict and Resolution Mechanisms
- Enabling Conditions of Negotiated approach to Governing Water
- Interlocked issues of Technological Development and Policy Analysis
- Remote Sensing
- Harandi, M. F., Shafiqul Islam (forthcoming), A Reframing of Zayandehrud’s Water Conflict. Journal of Hydrology.
- Harandi, M. F. (forthcoming), Book Chapter on Resolution of Transboundary Water Conflict: The Role of Enabling Conditions for Pragmatic Negotiation
- Nia, M. G., Harandi M. F., De Vries, M., (accepted), Technology Development as a Normative Practice; A Meaning-Based Approach to Learning about Values in Engineering, Damming as a case study. Journal of Science and Engineering Ethics.
- Harandi M. F., De Vries M. J., (forthcoming), Hydrosystems as Multi-Actor Phenomena. Journal of Water Policy.
- Harandi M. F., Nia M. G., De Vries M. J., 2015. Water Management: Sacrificing Normative Practice Subverting the Traditions of Water Apportionment: 'Whose Justice? Which Rationality?' Journal of Science and Engineering Ethics 21(5): 1241–1269 doi 10.1007/s11948-014-9593-1.
- Harandi, M. F., De Vries M. J., 2014. Appraisal of Qualifying Role of Hydraulic Heritage Systems; A Case Study of Qanat in the Central Iran. Journal of Water Science and Technology: IWA Water science and Technology: Water Supply Journal 14.6: 1124-1132 doi 10.2166/ws.2014.074.
- Harandi M. F., Yarahmadian S., Sepehrifar M., Van Gelder, P., 2014. The Dichotomous Markov Process with Nonparametric Test Application; a Decision Support Method in Long-term River Behavioural Analysis, the ZayandehRud River; a Case Study from Central Iran. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. 28(7): 1889-1896 doi10.1007/s00477-014-0854-y
- Mamanpoush A., Fasihi Harandi, M. 2001. Small Hydropower usage in the highlands irrigation. Journal of Water & Wastewater, 14(39): 50-54.
- Harandi, M. F. “Taste and odor issues in reservoirs”, Iranian Society of Civil Engineering Journal (ASAS), 2(2): 40-49.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Society for Philosophy & Technology, USA (SPT).
- Iranian Organization for Engineering Order of Building.
- Iranian Society of Consulting Engineers (IRSCE).
- International Center for Hydropower, Norway (ICH).
- Management of common-pool water resources
- Groundwater Hydro-Geology
- Water Management course-project instructor
- Teaching assistant for River Morphology
- Water Resources Planning and Management
- Engineering Economy