Assistant Professor, Environmental Engineering Group
Civil Engineering Department, K.N. Toosi University of Technology
Date of Birth: 1985
Place of Birth: Tehran, Iran
1) Ph.D,, Chemical Engineering, 2011-2015, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Research Attachment at the University of Cambridge, UK)
2) M.Sc., Project Management in Environmental and Energy Engineering, 2009-2010, Ecole des Mines de Nantes, France (completed every single credit with honors)
3) B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Iran (was ranked in the top 2% in the national entrance exam), 2003-2008.
• 2017: winner of the Kazemi Ashtiani prize, awarded to outstanding researchers ($6,000 USD appx.)
• 2015: granted membership in the National Elites Foundation, only for academically exceptional Iranians
• 2015: International Young Waste Researcher Award, from ICSWHK 2015 ($2,000 USD)
• 2014: Overseas research attachment scholarship at the University of Cambridge ($6,000 USD appx.)
• 2012-2014: HKUST School of Engineering Fellowship ($10,000 USD appx.)
• 2011-2014: PGRS scholarship ($90,000 USD appx.)
• 2010: HKUST visiting researcher scholarship ($7,000 USD appx.)
• 2009-2010: TOTAL Scholarship ($50,000 USD appx.)
• 2007-2009: Top Instructor award for teaching TOEFL and IELTS English courses at Sharif University of Technology
• 2007: IAESTE / DAAD Scholarship Germany ($3,500 USD appx.)
• 2006: Best paper and best presentation awards at the 2nd Iranian National Congress on Chemistry and Industry
• 2001: Gold medal winner and Pacific Institute of Mathematical Sciences Award at the Greater Vancouver Regional Science Fair
• R&D Manager and Business Development Advisor, 2015-Present.
• Noor Vijeh Company (Iran’s market leader in PPP reverse osmosis desalination, www.nvco.org) Tehran, Iran
• R&D responsibilities: development of limestone contactors (pilot scale) for water remineralization assessment of dissolved air flotation (pilot scale) as an option for SWRO pretreatment development of a CIP regime for alleviation of composite fouling on RO membranes chemical regeneration of spent activated carbon assessment of various recycling/treatment options for used reverse osmosis membranes
• Business development responsibilities: helping top management locate, establish, define and develop business relationships. Most notably a landmark
• partnership agreement with Safbon Inc. Shanghai (www.safbon.com), potentially worth $30 million USD (appx.)
• planning, preparing, and presenting the company profile to potential partners negotiations and MOU preparations; tenders and bid preparations overseeing the development of marketing literature conducting recruitment interviews (occasionally)
• Interpreter, 2007-Present: Simultaneous translator/interpreter at high-profile events, most notably at the ministerial level at the ECO ombudsmen summit in 2009; and at the ministerial level at the first international conference on virtual water, organized by Iran’s Chamber of Commerce, 2017.
• Project Manager, 2014: FarPAM (www.farpam.com), Tehran, Iran
• surveying and evaluating biomass resources within Iran's various provinces for implementing Iran's first biomass gasification plant
• conducting an economic evaluation (pre-feasibility study and sensitivity analysis)
• holding meetings with executives and stakeholders, regarding the implementation of the project exclusive representative of Peako Biomass Ltd. in Iran for modular biomass gasification units (June 30, 2017 expiry) evaluating other waste-to-energy projects, particularly concerning hospital waste incineration
• Freelance Journalist, TV Host, Media Contributor, 2007-2014, Contributed dozens of articles to various prominent news agencies. Part of several documentary film making teams. Responsible for a complete overhaul of PRESSTV's website for the documentary division etc. Co-host of Hemaseh (IRIB Channel 1) and Raz (IRIB Channel 4).
• Founder of Shaksh and Dardodel, 2005-2014, Two online start-up projects.
• Shakhs offered online psychometric analyses and Dardodel is a mini-social network based on anonymous conversations
• Senior Civil Engineer, H.I.E.E. Consulting Engineers, Tehran, Iran, 1996-2000.
• Renewable energy desalination
• Water treatment
• Greywater treatment
• Recycling and extraction of valuable materials from wastes
• Waste to energy
- Books and Book Chapters
• A Bazargan (Ed.), A Multidisciplinary Introduction to Desalination, River Publishers (Copenhagen), ISBN 978-87-93379-54-1, forthcoming 2017.
• A Bazargan, M Amini “Indeed brother it was so” 2007. Translation of A. Shariati's book with the same title, Tehran: Chap Pakhsh, ISBN: 978-964-5541-91-8.
• M. Khorasanizadeh, A Bazargan, G McKay, Sustainable Materials Management, In: Handbook of Environmental Materials Management, Springer, Forthcoming 2018
• N. Salehi, M. Mahmoudi, A Bazargan, G McKay, Exergy and life cycle based analysis, In: Handbook of Environmental Materials Management, Springer, Forthcoming 2018
• E Banayan, A Bazargan, G McKay, The Modified Bardenpho Process, In: Handbook of Environmental Materials Management, Springer, Forthcoming 2018
• K. Abdollahi, A Bazargan, G McKay, Water Balance Models in Environmental Modelling, In: Handbook of Environmental Materials Management, Springer, Forthcoming 2018
• A Bazargan, A Jafari, R Mokhtari, MH Behnoud, Desalinated Water Chemistry and Quality, In: A Multidisciplinary Introduction to Desalination, River Publishers (Copenhagen), Ed: A. Bazargan, ISBN 978-87-93379-54-1, forthcoming 2017.
• A Bazargan, B Salgado. Fundamentals of Desalination, In: A Multidisciplinary Introduction to Desalination, River Publishers (Copenhagen), Ed: A. Bazargan, ISBN 978-87-93379-54-1, forthcoming 2017.
• A Bazargan, A Jafari, R Mokhtari, MH Behnoud, Post-treatment of Desalinated Water, In: A Multidisciplinary Introduction to Desalination, River Publishers (Copenhagen), Ed: A. Bazargan, ISBN 978-87-93379-54-1, forthcoming 2017.
• J. Peichel, A Bazargan, In: A Multidisciplinary Introduction to Desalination, River Publishers (Copenhagen), Ed: A. Bazargan, ISBN 978-87-93379-54-1, forthcoming 2017.
• A Bazargan, CW Hui, G McKay. Porous Carbons from Plastic Waste. Porous Carbons– Hyperbranched Polymers–Polymer Solvation. Advances in Polymer Science. Berlin: SpringerVerlag, 1-25, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/12_2013_253.
• J Saleem, A Bazargan, J Barford, G McKay. Oil spill remedy using bi-axially oriented polymer films, in WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment (Water Pollution XII). Southampton: WIT Press 182, 145-152, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.2495/WP140131.
• A Bazargan, KF Lam, G McKay. Challenges and Opportunities of E-Waste Management in Developing Countries, in E-Waste: Management, Types and Challenges. New York: Nova Science, 39-66, 2012. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=26597
- Journal Publications
• A Bazargan, TH Shek, CW Hui, G McKay. Optimising Batch Adsorbers for the Removal of Zinc from Effluents Using a Sodium Diimidoacetate Ion Exchange Resin. Adsorption, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10450-016-9857-y.
• A Bazargan, SL Rough, G McKay. Fine Tuning of Process Parameters for Improving Briquette Production from Palm Kernel Shell Gasification Waste. Environmental Technology, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2017.1317835.
• A Bazargan, P Hadi, SL Rough, G McKay. The preparation of pellets by the compaction of an aluminosilicate-based adsorbent from electronic waste. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 4(2), 2322–2326, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.03.047.
• A Bazargan, G McKay. An Interactive HAZOP Teaching Module for Engineering and Science Students. International Education and Research Journal. 2(3), 56-62, 2016. https://archive.org/details/22MCKAYGordon.
• MD Kostić, A Bazargan, OS Stamenković, VB Veljković, G McKay. Optimization and kinetics of sunflower oil methanolysis catalyzed by calcium oxide-based catalyst derived from palm kernel shell biochar. Fuel 163, 304-313, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.09.042.
• A Bazargan, M Bazargan, G McKay. Optimization of rice husk pretreatment for energy production. Renewable Energy 77, 512-520, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.11.072.
• A Bazargan, MD Kostić, OS Stamenković, VB Veljković, G McKay. A calcium oxide-based catalyst derived from palm kernel shell gasification residues for biodiesel production. Fuel 150, 519–525, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.02.046.
• A Bazargan, H Sadeghi, R Garcia-Mayoral, G McKay. An unsteady state retention model for fluid desorption from sorbents. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2015.02.036.
• J Saleem, A Bazargan, J Barford, G McKay. Application of Strong Porous Polymer Sheets for Superior Oil Spill Recovery. Chemical Engineering & Technology 38(3), 482-488, 2015. http://dx.doi/org/10.1002/ceat.201400068.
• A Bazargan, J Tan, G McKay. Standardization of Oil Sorbent Performance Testing. Journal of Testing and Evaluation 43 (6), 1-8, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/JTE20140227.
• A Bazargan, SL Rough, G McKay. Compaction of palm kernel shell biochars for application as solid fuel. Biomass and Bioenergy 70, 489-497, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.08.015.
• A Bazargan, T Gebreegziabher, CW Hui, G McKay. The effect of alkali treatment on rice husk moisture content and drying kinetics. Biomass and Bioenergy 70, 468-475, 2014 . http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.08.018.
• A Bazargan, D Bwegendaho, J Barford, G McKay. Printed circuit board waste as a source for high purity porous silica. Separation and Purification Technology 136, 88-93, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2014.08.026.
• J Saleem, A Bazargan, J Barford, G McKay. Super-fast oil uptake using porous ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene sheets. Polymers for Advanced Technologies 25(10), 1181-1185, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pat.3376.
• A Bazargan, CW Hui, G Mckay. Marine residual fuel sorption and desorption kinetics by alkali treated rice husks. Cellulose 21(3), 1997-2006, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10570-014-0257-8.
• A Bazargan, J Tan, CW Hui, G McKay. Utilization of rice husks for the production of oil sorbent materials. Cellulose 21(3), 1679-1688, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10570-014-0203-9.
• A Bazargan, Y Yan, CW Hui, G McKay. A Review: Synthesis of carbon-based nano and micro materials by high temperature and high pressure. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res 52(36), 12689-12702, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ie4018513.
• A Bazargan, G McKay. A review–Synthesis of carbon nanotubes from plastic wastes. Chemical engineering journal 195, 377-391, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2012.03.077.
• M Akbari, A Bazargan, M Bazargan. A numerical study of supercritical water oxidation of phenol under steady and non stationary operating conditions. Journal of the Iranian Chemical Research 2011, 4, 187-198, 2011.
• Introduction to Environmental Engineering
• Water Treatment
• Wastewater Treatment
• Water Reuse
• Solid Waste Management
• Waste Processing and Recycling
• Sustainable Development and Design
• Renewable Energy
• Environmental Management and Impact Assessment