Chairholder of UNESCO Chair on Water Reuse,
Associate Professor, School of Chemical Engineering
College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, IRAN
Date of Birth: September 21, 1971
Place of Birth: Doroud, Iran
Mailing Address: School of Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Tehran,16 Azar St., Tehran, Iran,
P.O. Box: 11155-4563
Tel: +98 21 61112185 (Office)
Fax: +98 21 66957784
- PhD.: Environmental Biotechnology, 2005, Université Montpellier 2, France.
- Thesis: “ Physiological and biochemical studies in industrial production of a bio-insecticide”
- Master of Science: Biochemical Eng., 1996, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- Thesis: “ Glucoamylase production by different strain of A. niger under different aeration”
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical Eng., 1993, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- University International Festival, Selected International Joint-Research (2015)
- University Research Festival, The Best Applied Research (2012)
- University Research Festival, The Best Fundamental Research (2011)
- Young researcher of The American Society of Microbiology (2004).
- UNESCO chair: Water Reuse, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, June 2014-present.
- Visiting professor in Korea Research Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology, 2013-2014.
- Associate Professor at School of Chemical Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
- Associate Chair for Research Affairs and Graduate Studies, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.2011-2013
- Member of Water Commission.
- Scientific Advisor of Water Reuse Mega-Project.
- Editorial board member: Equip-Sys and Water reuse journals.
- Consultant for all Environmental Projects and Supervision of Underground Water De-pollution in TEHRAN OIL REFINERY Co (Consultant), 2009-2010.
- As the head of research unit in JAHAN VEGETABLE OIL CO, 1999-2001.
- Researcher in Biochemical and Environment Centre of Sharif University,1995-1999.
- Researcher in ENGINEERING RESEARCH CENTER (MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE), 1995-1997.
- Assistant process engineer in cereals and derivatives in SANAT AFARIN CO, 1996-1997.
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Wastewater treatment and reuse
- Water productivity
- F Rezvani, MH Sarrafzadeh, SH Seo, HM Oh, Phosphorus optimization for simultaneous nitrate-contaminated groundwater treatment and algae biomass production using Ettlia sp. Bioresource Technology 244, 785-792
- Rezvani, Sarrafzadeh, Ebrahimi, Oh ‘Nitrate removal from drinking water with a focus on biological methods: a review’ Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-18, 2017
- Sadeghi, Mehrnia, Nabizadeh, Bahadori, Sarrafzadeh ‘MBR technology: A practical approach for petrochemical wastewater treatment’ Petroleum Science and Technology 35 (3), 222-228, 2017
- Ghaffari, Sarrafzadeh, Fakhroueian, Shahriari, Khorami, ‘Functionalization of ZnO nanoparticles by 3-mercaptopropionic acid for aqueous curcumin delivery: Synthesis, characterization, and anticancer assessment’ Materials Science and Engineering: C 79, 465-472, 2017
- Hosseini, Tavakoli, Sarrafzadeh ‘Experimental optimization of SC-CO 2 extraction of carotenoids from Dunaliella salina’ The Journal of Supercritical Fluids 121, 89-95, 2017
- Mashayekhi, Sarrafzadeh, Tavakoli, Soltani, Faramarzi ‘Potential for biodiesel production and carbon capturing from Synechococcus Elongatus: An isolation and evaluation study’ Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotech 9, 230-235, 2017
- Darvishi, Sarrafzadeh, Mehrnia. ‘Biodegradation of Phenol by Using Conventional Activated Sludge Process’ Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2016, 8(5):792-803
- Montazeri, Sarrafzadeh. ‘Microbial Community from MTBE-Contaminated Soil for Aerobic Biodegradation of MTBE’ Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection, 2016, 4, 93-99
- Rezaei, Sarrafzadeh. ‘A review of greywater characteristics and treatment methods’, 2016, in press
- Babaee, Mehrnia, Shayegan, Sarrafzadeh. ‘Comparison of different trophic cultivations in microalgal membrane bioreactor containing N-riched wastewater for simultaneous nutrient removal and biomass production’ Process Biochemistry, 2016, 51 (10), 1568-1575
- Sarrafzadeh, La, Seo, Asgharnejad, Oh. ‘Evaluation of different techniques for microalgal biomass quantification’ J Biotechnology, 2015, 53-58.
- Sarrafzadeh ; Pourhemati. ‘A review on EU municipal and industrial wastewater management action’ Iran Water Resources Research. 2015. No 11. 99-106
- MH Sarrafzadeh; M rezaei. ‘Quality of Rainwater Collected from the Roof and Its Treatment Methods’ Iranian Journal of Rainwater Catchment System. Vol 4. No3. 41-52 . 2014
- Abi, Sarrafzadeh, Mehrnia ‘Investigation of Sporulation Phase in a Biosurfactant Producing Culture for Application in Microbial-Enhanced Oil Recovery’ Chem. Ing. Tech. 2014, 86, No. 9, 1481–1485
- Rezaee; Sarrafzadeh; Mehrnia; Mohammadi; Pajoum-Shariati ‘Determination of ozone adsorption in activated sludge system and its effect on sludge properties’ DESALINATION AND WATER TREATMENT, 2014, 1-7
- Sarrafzadeh, Schorr-Galindo, La, Oh ‘Aeration Effects on Metabolic Events during Sporulation of Bacillus thuringiensis’ Journal of Microbiology, 2014, 52(7), 597-603
- Homayoonfal; Mehrnia; Shariati-Niasar; Akbari; Sarrafzadeh; Fauzi, Fabrication of magnetic nanocomposite membrane for separation of organic contaminant from water; DESALINATION AND WATER TREATMENT, 2014, 1-7
- MH Sarafzadeh, Hyun-Joon La , Hee-Mock Oh , Microalgae biomass quantification by digital image processing and RGB color analysis, JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYCOLOGY, 2014, 26, 3
- M Rezaei, MR Mehrnia, MH Sarafzadeh, Effect of Clinoptilolite Addition on Nutrient Removal in a Membrane Bioreactor, DESALINATION AND WATER TREATMENT, 2014, 1-8
- F Pajoum-Shariati, MH Sarrafzadeh, MR Mehrnia, G Sarzana, A Grasmick, M Heran ‘Dielectric monitoring and respirometric activity of a high cell density activated sludge’ Environmental Technology 35 (4), 425-431, 2014
- M Zargar, MH Sarrafzadeh, B Taheri, A Keshavarz “Assessment of in situ bioremediation of oil contaminated soil and groundwater in a petroleum refinery: A laboratory soil column study” Petroleum Science and Technology, 32, 1553-1561, 2014
- N Nouri, MR Mehrnia, MH Sarrafzadeh, R Nabizadeh ‘Performance of membrane bioreactor in presence of flocculants’ Desalination and Water Treatment, 1-6, 2013
- Pajoum-Shariati, Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh, S Rezaee, A Grasmick, M Heran ‘Fouling in a novel airlift oxidation ditch membrane bioreactor AOXMBR at different high organic loading rate’ Separation and Purification Technology, 105, 69-78, 2013
- MR Mehrnia, H Azami, MH Sarrafzadeh ‘Fouling mitigation in membrane bioreactors using multivalent cations’ Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 109, 90– 96, 2013
- F Pajoum-Shariati, M Heran, MH Sarrafzadeh, MR Mehrnia, G Sarzana, C Ghommidh, A Grasmick ‘Biomass characterization by dielectric monitoring of viability and oxygen uptake rate measurements in a novel membrane bioreactor’ Bioresource Technology 140, 357–362, 2013
- F Pajoum-Shariati, MH Sarrafzadeh, MR Mehrnia, G Sarzana, C Ghommidh, A Grasmick, M Heran ‘Dielectric monitoring and respirometric activity of a high cell density activated sludge’Environmental Technology, 2013
- Sarkhanpour, Tavakoli, Sarrafzadeh, Kariminia “The comparision of Coprinus cinereus peroxidase enzyme and TiO2 catalyst for phenol removal” Environ. Sci. Health, Part A, 48: 300-307, 2013
- Shahtalebi, Sarrafzadeh, Mckay “Intraparticle diffusion model for adsorption of copper (II) ions onto pyrolytic tyre char’’ Desalination and Water Treatment, 51 (28-30), 5664-5673, 2013
- M Zargar, MH Sarrafzadeh, B Taheri , O Tavakoli “Surveying of soil and groundwater pollution in a petroleum refinery and potential of bioremediation for oil decontamination”, Petroleum Science and Technology, 31 (24), 2585-2595, 2013
- M Kazemzadeh-Afshar, MH Sarrafzadeh, MR Mehrnia ‘Performance of An Airlift Membrane Bioreactor Under Different Aeration Rates’ Journal of Membrane and Separation Technology, 2012
- Sarrafzadeh “Nutritional requirements of Bacillus thuringiensis during different phases of growth, sporulation and germination evaluated by Plackett-Burman method”, IJCChE 31 (4), 131-136, 2012
- Azami H., Sarrafzadeh M H, Mehrnia M R. “Soluble microbial products (SMPs) production in activated sludge systems: a review”, Journal of Environmental Health, Science and Engineering, 9 (30), 2012
- AA Poostchi, MR Mehrnia, F Rezvani, MH Sarrafzadeh, Low-cost monofilament mesh filter used in membrane bioreactor process: Filtration characteristics and resistance analysis, Desalination, 286, 1, 429-435, 2012
- Sadeghi, Mehrnia, Nabizadeh, Sarrafzadeh ‘’Treatment of synthetic olefin plant wastewater at various salt concentrations in a membrane bioreactor’’ Clean- Soil Air Water, 40 (4), 416-421, 2012.
- Mehdizadeh, Mehrnia, Abdi, Sarrafzadeh, “Biological treatment of toluene contaminated wastewater by Alcaligenese faecalis in an extractive membrane bioreactor; experiments and modelling”, Water Science and Tech., 64(5), 1239-1246, 2011
- Mafirad; Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh, “Effect of membrane characteristics on the performance of membrane bioreactors for oily wastewater treatment”, Water Science and Technology, 64(5), 1154-1160, 2011
- Mafirad; Mehrnia; Azami; Sarrafzadeh “Effects of biofilm formation on membrane performance in submerged membrane bioreactors”, Biofouling, 27 (5), 477-485, 2011
- Pajoum Shariati, F., Mehrnia, M.R., Sarrafzadeh, M.H., Heran, M., Wisniewski, C., Performance of a novel hybrid membrane bioreactor: Effect of bacterial floc size on fouling, chemical engineering transactions, 867-872, 2011
- A Khalili-Garakani, MR Mehrnia, N Mostoufi, MH Sarrafzadeh, Analyze and control fouling in an airlift membrane bioreactor: CFD simulation and experimental studies, Process Biochemistry, Volume 46, Issue 5, 1138-1145, 2011
- Khalili, Mostoufi, Sadeghi, Hosseinzadeh, Fatourehchi, Sarrafzadeh, Mehrnia, “COMPARISON BETWEEN DIFFERENT MODELS FOR RHEOLOGICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF ACTIVATED SLUDGE”, Iran. J. Environ. Health. Sci. Eng.,Vol. 8, No. 3, 2011
- Azami, Sarrafzadeh, Mehrnia ‘’Fouling in membrane bioreactors with various concentrations of dead cells” Desalination, 278, 373-380, 2011
- Manafi, Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh “Phenol Removal from Synthetic Wastewater by Alcaligenes Faecalis: Online Monitoring”, International Journal of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, 2(2),103-107, 2011
- Azami, Sarrafzadeh, Mehrnia ‘’Influence of sludge rheological properties on the membrane fouling in submerged membrane bioreactor’’, Desalination and Water Technology, 34, 117-122, 2011
- Shahtalebi, Sarrafzadeh, Montazer-Rahmati “APPLICATION OF NANOFILTRATION MEMBRANE IN THE SEPARATION OF AMOXICILLIN FROM PHARMACEUTICAL WASTEWATER’’, Iran. J. Environ. Health. Sci. Eng., 2011, Vol. 8, No. 2
- Azami H., Mehrnia M.R., Sarrafzadeh M.H., Mafirad S., Kazemzadeh M., Madaeni S.S. “Effect of concentration of cations on activated sludge properties and membrane fouling in membrane bioreactors for wastewater treatment”, J. Chem. Petrol. Eng. 44 1-8, 2010
- Rassouli, Sarrafzadeh, Tavakoli “An investigation on the nitrogen content of a petroleum refinery” Iran. J. Environ. Health. Sci. Eng., 2010, Vol. 7, No. 5, 391-395
- Amiri, Mehrnia, Azamai, Shavandi, Sarrafzadeh “The effect of heavy metals on membrane ...”
- Poustchi, Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh “Removal of dissolved organic carbon by multi-walled” Research Journal of Chemistry and Environment, 4, 59-66, 2010
- Poustchi, Mehrnia, Fatourehchi, Sarrafzadeh “Dynamic membrane formation on synthetic fabric cloths” Filter media, 2, 9-12, 2010
- Amani, Sarrafzadeh, Haghighi, Mehrnia “Comparative study of biosurfactant producing bacteria in MEOR applications”, Petroleum Science and Engineering, 75, 209-214, 2010
- Amani, Haghighi, Sarrafzadeh, Mehrnia, Shahmirzaee “Optimization of the production of biosurfactant from Iranian indigenous bacteria for reduction of surface tension and enhanced oil recovery”, Petroleum Science and Technology, 2010
- Amani, Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh, Haghighi “Scale up and application of biosurfactant from Bacillus subtilis in enhanced oil recovery” , Applied Biochemis Biotechn, 2010
- F Pajoum Shariati, MR Mehrnia, B Madadkhah, M Heran,Ch Wisniewski, Sarrafzadeh MH “Membrane bioreactor for treatment of pharmaceutical wastewater containing acetaminophen” Desalination, 250, 98-100, 2009
- Khalili, Mostofi, Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh “Flow Characteristics in an Airlift Membrane Bioreactor”, Chemi Prod Proc Model, 2010
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Jafari AR Use of cheap media to enhance glucose oxidase production during batch cultivation of Aspergillus niger, Pak. J. of Biotech.,2009
- Nasr, Soudi, Mehrnia, Sarrafzadeh Characterization of novel biosurfactant producing strains of Bacillus spp. isolated from petroleum contaminated soil, Iran J Microb, 2009
- Rasouli, Sarrafzadeh “Optimization of Nitrification-Dentrification Process for Nitrogen Removal from Wastewater” Chemistry and Chem Eng J, 2009
- Rasouli-Kenari H, Sarrafzadeh MH, Mehrnia MR. “Factors affecting the biological nitrogen removal from wastewater in simultaneous nitrification denitrification process” J Biotechnology, 136S, S670, 2008
- Ghaniyari S, Sarrafzadeh MH, Bagheri M. Treatment of high strength wastewater containing nitrogenous compounds in an anaerobic multistage biofilter” J Biotechnology, 136S, S464, 2008
- Shafeeyan MS, Sarrafzadeh MH. “Enzymatic treatment of alphacellulose fibers by using a commercial cellulose” J Biotechnology, 136S, S670, 2008
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Najafloo A, Gerami A. “Statistical analysis of oxygen effect on the culture of Bacillus thuringiensis” J Biotechnology, 136S, S477, 2008
- Rasouli Kenari H, Sarrafzadeh MH, Salehi Z, Mehrnia M. “Effective factors in selection of an appropriate biological method for nitrogen removal from wastewater”, IAChE Journal, 34, 56-65, 2008
- Hamedi J, Moghimi H, Sarrafzadeh MH, Kafashi B. “Consistency index, a suitable parameter for biomass measuring of Streptomyces clavuligerus in the clavulanic acid fermentation broth”, Chemistry and Chem Eng J, 2008
- Eshratabadi P, Fatemi H, Sarrafzadeh MH, “Enhanced degumming of soyabean oil and its influences on degummed oil and lecithin”, Iranian J. of Chem. Eng., in press, 2008
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Shamaei S, Loni E, Mirsaeed N “An Investigation on the Edible Oil Loss during Caustic Refining and the Necessity of Its Control”, J. of Food industry and science, Vol (4), N(1), 35-43, 2007
- Eshratabadi P, Fatemi H, Sarrafzadeh MH, Salarvand Z “An Investigation of Extraction and Specification of Lecithin from Different Soybean Varieties”, J. of Food Industry and Science, Vol (4), N(1), 65-71, 2007
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Bigey F, Capariccio B., Mehrnia M., Guiraud JP, Navarro JM; “Simple indicators of plasmid loss during fermentation of Bacillus thuringiensis”, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 40, 1052-1058, 2007
- Sarrafzadeh MH, “The dielectric properties of biological cells and its application in biotechnology”, IAChE Journal, 28, 33-40, 2007
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Galindo S., Guiraud JP, Navarro JM ” Metabolic events during sporulation of Bacillus thuringiensis H14 under different oxygenation rates”, submitted, 2007.
- Jafari AR, Sarrafzadeh MH, Alemzadeh I., Vossoughi M, " Effect of Stirrer Speed and Aeration Rate on the Production of Glucose Oxidase by Aspergillus niger", J. Biol. Sci., 7(2), 270-275, 2007
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Bigey F, Navarro JM "Changes in physiological properties as a criterion for detection of loss of plasmid in Bacillus thuringiensis" Iranian J. of Biotechnology, in press, 2007.
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Navarro JM; “The effect of oxygen on the sporulation, -endotoxins synthesis and toxicity of Bacillus thuringiensis H14”, World J of Microbiology & Biotechnology, 22, 305-310, 2006.
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Belloy L, Esteban G, Navarro JM, Ghommidh C; “Dielectric monitoring of the growth and sporulation of Bacillus thuringiensis”, Biotechnology Letters, 27(7), 511-517, 2005
- Sarrafzadeh MH, Guiraud JP, Lagneau C, Gaven B, Carron A, Navarro JM; “Growth, sporulation, δ-endotoxins synthesis and toxicity during culture of Bacillus thuringiensis H14”, Current Microbiology, 51, 75-81, 2005.
- Sarrafzadeh MH; “Biotechnology: the man for all seasons”, Farayand, N.3, 169-177, 1996
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND ORGANIZATION
- International Water Association, August 2012
- IWA- Water reuse special group, August 2012
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM), January 2004
- Society for General Microbiology (SGM), December 2003
- CONTACT Association of Montpellier university, September 2001
- Iranian Association of Biotechnology, January 1999
- Biotechnological expert committee of Agriculture Ministry of Iran, July 1995
- Iranian Association of Chemical Engineering, January 1993
- Environmental Engineering
- Advanced wastewater treatment
- Biochemistry Engineering
- Energy and Environment
- Environment and Recycling
- Material and Energy Balances